Here we have a support network, advise and suggestions and an understanding for other families who would like to have support from others in the same situation having someone they love living with a mental illness.
What is NAMI's Family To Family Program?
The NAMI Family to Family Program is a free, 12 week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illness.
The course is taught by trained family members
All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
Over 115,000 family members have graduated from this national program.
What is included in the course?
- Current information about schizophrenia, bipolar, major depression, panic disorder, obsesive compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders.
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence.
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery.
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness.
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening and communication techniques.
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse.
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: copuing with worry, stres and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community.
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services.